Wednesday, August 2, 2006

God damn, it's 100 degrees today, with the heat index 110, shit.

I know when it gets hot as hell in Georgia, most of us will tell you, it's too fucking hot to cook. That is bullshit, you got to eat, us crackers can't live on love and pussy alone, we need to eat some cracker and soul food. I do a lot of cooking, nothing fancy, just down to earth heavy eating dishes. Tonight I am baking a 10 pound ham, with a pot of okra and tomatotes, served over a plate of hot steamed rice. Black eyed peas with ham cooked in the peas. I put up some jars of peppers that will go very good over the veggies and some meats. For the last two days I have been eating deviled crabs with brown rice and butterbeans and corn on the cob. That's eating. Fresh picked blue crab meat is about 14.00 a pound now, but shrimp are still very cheap, about 3.00 a pound for the big ones, 16 to 20 to a pound, a lot less shelling, when they are big. Brown shrimp are a little smaller, but sweeter than the big white shrimp, brown shrimp are in season now. I have about another hour till I sink my teeth into that beautiful ham, as my friend GuyK says, ya'll come back, Cat

7 comments:

  1. I just cannot believe my rotten luck. Out of all the men in the world who cook, I didn't marry one. I wouldn't change, mind you...just bitchin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, my mouth is watering!! Can you bring some of that up here??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm...ham, okries, maters...*drool*Toni~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotda. I sure wish I had about 10 pounds of those 16 to 20 count shrimp to make up a big pot of gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True that. Better to cook outside in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shit i miss living in the south. I am from mississippi,now I live in Wisconsin. These people don't know how to cook up here!They never even heard of naborhood fish fries,and they sure as hell don't know how to cook mudbugs.Oh well hand grabbing season will be here soon. can't wait till June!!!Thanks for reminding me of all the good food I'm missing out on. Good luck with the dreams hope you don't wake up stuck to the bed in a big pile of jizz!

    ReplyDelete