Saturday, March 29, 2008

Dogwood festival in Jesup Georgia

Yesterday my bride had to drive 50 miles to sell tickets on a few quilts her club made for this big festival. One old lady was going with her and called at the last moment and said she could not go. I took Nancy that I would be glad to drive her there. I called my cousin, Luther and his bride, Janet and asked them to go with us and keep me company and walk around and shop at all the vendors. Each vendor had to sell only items made, not purchased items. There was some great things to buy and plenty of food and drink. Jesup may have 10,000 people in the county, small place with a big ass paper mill. Nancy sold hundreds of dollars worth of tickets, while we walked around and looked and shopped. I spent around 50.00 and Luther gave them another 30.00, grest trip and not so hot, the festival was under a bunch of trees, while Nancy and her quilters were indoors in air. After the party, we all climbed into the 4 door truck and went to eat at a place called Jones Kitchen, all you can eat for 7.00 a person, that included meal, drink and tip. Let me tell you about the menue, all the salad mixings you could ever ask for to start, then it was fried chicken, baked chicken, cooked ribs in bar=b=que sause, fresh pork sausage, fried bacon with the skin, liver and last on the meat side was a big roast beef. Here were the veggies, corn on the cob, butterbeans, peas, black eyed peas, okra, tomatoes, greens, beets with onions, northern turnips and pole beans. Thet also had biscults, cornbeards, rolls, fresh peach cobbler, three types of cakes and ice cream. I think we all gained 6 pounds after that meal. My cousin said that was the best meal he has had in a long time, good old country cooking. I am going again next year, have a good weekend, Cat

4 comments:

  1. I like them kinda eatin' places but prefer that chinaman's place we went to in Savannah..get just as full and it don't sit on my belly all day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kinds of places are the best! Peach cobbler! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Texas for quite a spell now im stuck in Colorado trying to get back. Any way The people in the south sure knows how to put on a feed. Best eats are in those cafes that sll you can eat . Thanks for the Memories

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Jesup. The Dogwood Festival is a really nice event with many vendors. There are usually a lot of food vendors, too. As for Jones Kitchen, it is legendary in these parts for their great food, It has been around forever.

    ReplyDelete