Thursday, July 28, 2005

Good Old Days

I just read  apost at SWG blog, he was talking about sweet milk in cans. That made me think of penny candy and gum. When I was a child growing up, we use to go to the corner confectionery and got penny candy and gum. A penny bubble gum, was big as a quarter back then. A penny candy was as big as a 10 cent piece now. For a dime, you could get sick as a dog on candy and junk. Ice cream was a nickle and cokes were a nickel. We also had a penny cookie, they were about 4 inches wide and a fourth of an inch thick, and yes, it was a penny. Lance crackers were a nickle and you got 6 of them in a pack, now you get 6 for 55 cents. The movies in Savannah were 10 cents and sometimes you got in for free, with bottle tops. The State and the Avon always had a double feature, it was 15 cents to get in and had some great candy and drinks for a nickle. I know people were not making great money, but everything was cheap, gas was 17 cents a gallon and we had price wars every week. Smokes were 20 cents a pack, a carton were 1.80, they are 70.00 a carton in New York now. An old girlfriend of mine is in Savannah for our 40th year graduation party. Linda still looks good, maybe I will go. Eric made me think about some of the old things of yesterday, thanks buddy, Cat

9 comments:

  1. Most definantly the good ol days. Go to he graduation party and laugh with your old friends and laugh at the ones who didnt like you lol Have a nice day Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep. I remember those days. Oh hell, I know I'm getting old because I can remember dropping my pencil to spy on my fourth grade teachers pink panties but can't remember whether or not I took my pills this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep. I remember those days. Oh hell, I know I'm getting old because I can remember dropping my pencil to spy on my fourth grade teachers pink panties but can't remember whether or not I took my pills this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to hear my momma tell me about how things were when she was a kid..I tell ya what her eyes light up everytime she says the word's Moonpies & R.C. Cola :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my parents paying 64 cents for gas and getting candybars for 10 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Catfish, Livey allowed it is your birthday. Happy Birthday! And may you have many more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Catfish!Happy Birthday! Have a great one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Cat! And as for the sweet milk in cans--- Ronnie Durden made me start using that stuff in my coffee because he always had some at the Steam Plant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. .. you're welcome, Catfish... and Happy Birthday..

    ReplyDelete