Thursday, September 29, 2005

More on southern foods

My dad had a very large family, one of his brothers had a big farm in Metter Georgia. When we went to visit they would feed us. I remember one day we sat down to eat and I asked mama, what is all of this? She laughed and told me to eat. There kitcken table would sit 14 people and my aunt would put the food out in very large bowls, everyone sat down and had grace and them started to eat like pigs. Here is a few items they had on the table that day. Chiltins, pig ears, fried chicken, fried pork strips, mostly fat. Butter beans, corn, mac and cheese, greens, must have been mustard, rice with gravy, potatoes, different pickles, they made. Cornbeard and biscuits, sweet tea and for desert she had pir, two kinds, and differet types of cake. Everyone on daddy's side of the family all weighted well over 200 pounds and all of them had at least 6 kids, these people ate like hogs. My aunts job was just to cook. Three big ass meals a day and she always fead 10 or more at each meal. These were very hard working people and they owned thousands of acres of land and worked all of it. They grew there own veggies, raised hogs, goats, chickens and cows. They butchered there own stock and ate of gave it all away. Have you ever eaten a pig ear? The bowl they were in looked like big dumplings, but they had no taste, just tough, the more you chewed, the bigger they got.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Catfish , Thank You for the comment you left on my blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what Blondage ate!I'll pass on the pig ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat.Just got bigger, huh? I found chicken gizzards to be like that. Neck too. I think we ate every part but the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminded me of my childhood too, most people think food comes only from the supermarket. Around our place if it moved you caught it and ate it, that's what growing up in a very large family on a farm meant. You bet I chewed on things that seemed to get bigger with every bite, but that's survival, I'm not a picky eater but I still don't like the Hawaiian dish called Poi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing better than a pot full of backbone and rice with plenty of onions, Cat

    ReplyDelete