Sunday, March 12, 2006

Civil Rights.

Back in the 60's, we lived on Washington Square in Savannah's old fort section of town. It was around the corner from a 5 star eating place, called the Pirates House. The blacks were marching all over Savannah. My mama always had maids and cooks. She buried about 20 black people that use to work for her. We lived on the paved street and the blacks lived behind us on the dirt streets. I played with blacks when I was young and ate there cooking everyday. I did not know much about color in those days. The black funeral parlor, about 2 blocks away loved my mama, she paid for all the blacks funerals, about 600.00 in those days. Back to my story, daddy was away on the ship when all of this sit downs were going on. We were home one afternoon and we heard a bunch of people coming down the street. Daddy got his shotgun and we all went outside on the porch. It was about 100 blacks walking to the Pirates House to boycott or eat there. Daddy took a stand with his Browning, while Martin Luther King and Jesse Jackson walked bye. I did not know what to think, being a kid, I hollowed and waved at them and me and mama cheered them on. I did not think it was a big deal. Later that year, black churches were the meeting places for the blacks and every once in a while they would have anothe march. Me and mama use to get in the 49 chevy and ride to look at them. Once the blacks were allowed to eat at the 5 and dime, things got back to normal. It was no big deal. I remember the white and colored water fountains and the black side of town, whites did not go there. We had it good in Savannah. Blacks always wanted to be with blacks and whites always wanted to be with whites. I think it is true today.  I think the big reason for all of this, is that no one wants to be told not to go and can't do this and that, once they got what they wanted, they were all happy. Friday will be St. Pat's day in Savannah. Have you ever seen a black Irishman? You will in Savannah, on that day. This is just a little story I was thinking about this morning, Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment