Monday, October 29, 2007

Road Trip Yesterday

My friend Wayne and me went on a 150 mile road trip yesterday. We started out pretty early and went to Glennville, a sweet onion grower assocation town. Did not buy any oinions, all of them are in the ground. We then went north to a sweet potato farmer in Toombs county, we each got three bushels of sweet potatoes right out of the fields, enough to feed an army. Down the road we stopped and got four bushels of green peanuts for boiling. A bushel is about 53 pounds of product. From there we went to another county and got some fresh pecans, I got mine shelled for 35 cents a pound. I think I can eat ten pounds in the next few months. I got them at wholesale prices. It was getting close to dinner so we stopped at a family style feed bag, all you can eat and drink for six dollars. I must have ate twenty dollars worth of food and dessert. Wayne asked me if I was hungry? I told him, not now.  Our next stop was the stockyard, Wane saw three roosters he wanted, so we loaded them up in my truck for a nice long ride home. I had fun and got my belly full as a tick yesterday, but today I am paying for it. I can't ride or drive like I use too. The weather down her is getting colder and the deer season is picking up. On our long drive yesterday we saw three killed big deer. The hunters were taking them to market to get cut up into steaks, roasts, sausage meat and hamburger meat made from deer meat. We had a very good time and saturday I am going to Baxley Georgia for a farm show. Take care my friends, Cat

4 comments:

  1. Next time you're in Glennville ride a few miles up the road to Cobbtown. Then you can say you are a Cobbtown Sport. My dad used to always say that. Never knew what it meant, but I think they were a semi-pro baseball team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cat, just had to tell you how sick i was that i didn't make it to helen this year to meet you. dang. and denny called the other night and shared his most memorable catfishisms with me and it just made me miss you all the more. one day, you cool cat. take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to meet you soon. I missed you also and I always ask Denny about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of your posts make me home sick and this was one of them...What a great trip...green peanuts, pecans, and sweet taters..you made a good haul... My Grandma had pecan trees in her yard and I used to pick them for her so she could make pie. She made the best pecan pie! I love boiled peanuts too! My mom used to make sweet potato pie and this other dish with mashed sweet potato at thanksgiving with brown sugar and marshmallow browned on the top...yummmy... You got a good deal at the feed bag!Deer season is starting here as well. The roads in the morning and dusk and dark are pretty dangerous for travel because they are all on the move now. They do a lot of deer jerky and sausage with them here.Enjoy your farm show in Baxley!Huggles and Love,Raggedy

    ReplyDelete