Thursday, April 20, 2006

My only grandson saw a man killed yesterday.

This is very horrible, my daughter called me last night, and told me that Tyler saw a man get ran over yesterday after school. It happened three doors down from where Tyler lives. The man that got killed was a nice old man and was out by the mail box, when a red car with three teenagers driving very fast. Two boys were in the front seat and a young girl was in the back. When it happened Tyler could hear the girl scream and hollow. The red car just kept on driving, they did not stop, Tyler told out his phone and called 911 and a few mintues later the cops came. Tyler saw the whole thing, he was very upset and nervous. The cops started asking wuestions and Tyler was telling them the truth, the cops would not let Tyler call his mama and they wanted to take him downtown for more questions. My daughter got there just in time, I don't think they can do that to a 15 year old. He answered all of there questions and tried to kelp them in anyway. After a while one of the cops asked Tyler, your daddy a cop? Tyler said yes and he has been on the force for 18 years. The cop told tyler that he was very proud of him for not crying out , that his dad was a cop. They them all have very high resprct for Tyler after that. I don't think they caught the red car yet, and I hope my grandson does not have any problems with this. Tyler is a very smart and grown up kid. I have given him three guns and he loves the outdoors and loved shooting guns. I think he will be okay. He is a big boy and very smart. His mama was also worried about the after, I told her that he would talk about it, when he got ready and if he needed anything that she would help in anyway. I he knows he can count on me. Let's hope he will be fine, Cat

11 comments:

  1. ((Cat & Tyler))so sorry he had to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds to me like the boy has his head on straight and I doubt that he has any problems. Damn shame a kid has to see death happen in front of him at that age but in another three years he will be old enough to be in the military dodging bullets and causing death himself. I wouldn't worry about him but just let him know you are there if he needs to talk to somebody about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. How horrible but he sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. Pisses me off that the cops wanted to take him in for questions without his mama knowing but he handled it good. I expect he'll get over it in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be very proud of him! He held up like a champ under some very difficult circumstances. If he had the sense about him to be that way, then he's not going to have a problem dealing with this, not with such a loving and supporting family around him. I hope they catch the people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was probably 17 or so when I saw an accident at an intersection where a guy was so drunk he ran a red light. I was sitting on the porch of a friend of mine's house on the corner. The guy was thrown out of the car, and the car spun aroun on top of him. We ran over to see if we could help, but he was messed up pretty badly, and no pulse when we got there. As soon as the Fire Dept(pre EMT days) got there, they pulled a tarp over him until the local funeral home came and picked up the body. I will never forget it, but I don't think it really bothered me. I have been accused of being a sick individual, but I think I was that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all the other comments... he sounds like a good kid (after all... he had the presence of mind to call 911) and will be okay. I am surprised, though, that at 15 years old (a minor) the police would not let him call his mom. Anyway, good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He'll be alright, Cat. Boys are like lighter knot. Quick as nails, and fast to burn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with the other commenters, I think he'll be OK and it seems like he held up well under the circumstances. Good strong blood in that boy, Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. geez Cat, that's pretty bad...it's pretty freaking sad they just drove away. I'm glad Tyler did the right thing; hopefully they will catch the bastards...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cat, I ain't gonna lie to you ... I saw someone killed when I was about 13 or 14 years old ... blood was all over the street and her mangled remains were just barely covered by some kind of tarp ... I don't know if it's directly related, but my teen years were completely f*cked up. I'm fine now though.I'm sure he'll get over it, but he sure as heck won't ever forget it. In a way, stuff like that could actually have positive results (unfortunately, the catalyst was quite a tragedy!), in that it may cause him to have deep thoughts, which ain't such a bad thing for a young man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a member of the EMS world I have seen a lot of mangled bodies. The point is, don't push the boy but the sooner he talks about it to someone he trust the better. Don't let him bottle it up. We have access to Stress Debriefing Teams when something really troubling happens. If all else fails call your local EMS organization and they should be willing to provide an experienced debriefer to help.

    ReplyDelete