Friday, June 17, 2005

Raining like hell in Coastal Georgia

We have a lot of phrases in the deep south, like when it is raining very hard, we say, it's raining cats and dogs, another one is looks like a cow pissing on a rock. My mama use to say, it's coming down in sheets. We have had hail, the size of marbles, with winds around 50 miles an hour and tons of rain. You can send us to school and then to college but you can't take that South out of us. My dad use to say, rain is good for two things, sleeping and fucking and your Ma will not love me today and I am not sleepy. That goes for me also. Tomorrow is Fathers Day and my dad has been gone 22 years, I wish I could see and talk to him some more. We were buddies and my three other brothers, all took after Mama, she never smokes, drank booze, never tasted a beer and was married to the same man for 56 years, when he died. Mama use to tell me, that I was just like Chap, my daddy, he drank, chased wild women, rode Indians and Harleys, did dope over seas, had ink all over him and yes, he did like to fight and gamble. Mama always threw that into my face when she was mad at me, which was almost all the time. Her favorite says was , you are nothing but a  whorehopper and a rumdumb, just like your daddy. I am the youngest of four big boys. I am the only child that has been married and devorced three times, man she had a lot to say about that and so did my brothers and sister-in-laws. My daddy loved me and never said anything to me about my ways, we were just alike and the old southern saying is, the apple does not fall far from the tree. I loved my daddy and took care of him for 2 years before he died of cancer. The last six months, he would eat only Baskin Robbins ice cream, a pint a day and egg custard and ensure. Mama and I took care of old dad. I am very glad to have my daddy's ways, but also proud that I have a little of the Cherokee Indian that my mama had in her. Dad, I miss you very much and Happy Father's Day, Cat

10 comments:

  1. This made me cry. I know just how much you loved your Dad. Since you are just like your Dad, then I know he was a kind, gentle, loving soul with a big heart and lots of love to share. Happy Father's Day to you and the spirit of your Father. He did a good job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry. I know just how much you loved your Dad. Since you are just like your Dad, then I know he was a kind, gentle, loving soul with a big heart and lots of love to share. Happy Father's Day to you and the spirit of your Father. He did a good job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hit publish one too many times...but it was worth saying twice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dana, I wished everyone had parents like mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said, "We have a lot of phrases in the deep south, like when it is raining very hard, we say, it's raining cats and dogs" ... better be careful of what you say, Cat ... if the Orientals find out about this, they will all want to move to Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words people, ya'll have a nice day, Cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words people, ya'll have a nice day, Cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post Cat. It sounds as though your dad was a great guy! Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY CAT!What a beautiful tribute to your father. I'm sure he is smiling down upon you today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whorehopper and rumdumb. Yeah, man. Happy Father's Day, Cat.

    ReplyDelete